Monday, December 24, 2012

Blog Growth Pains

As this blog has grown, it has become clear that the original organization of the pages needs to be improved. I have added a new page "Photos of Shows", and the index to the photos has been moved there from the "History" page. I will also be modifying the "Video and Audio" page so that I don't have to keep repeating the same information for each listing. There are now nine videos from the 1981 "Yeomen of the Guard" up on YouTube, and a couple more will soon be added so as to complete Act I of that show. Re the still pictures: I have been posting the photos that Mark Lawrence sent to me, but after the 1970 Ruddigore, there is a large gap in coverage until the 1979 Pinafore. Fortunately we have photos from some of the intervening shows buried away in drawers, cupboards and cardboard boxes around our home, so my next project will be to scan a representative sample of these and add them to the display.

     A word about the program for the 1981 "Yeomen" that can be seen on the "Memorabilia" page. Rather than post the actual scan of the program, I decided to try processing the scan with a modern OCR (optical character recognition) application. The rendition was remarkably accurate - I saw only two errors in the raw text: TIM WELLS became TTM WELLS, and the OCR application was not able to interpret correctly the original Old English font that was used to spell out "The Savoyards". OCR has clearly come a long way since I last tried it! (And yes, the original program did misspell "YOEMEN" in the heading to Production Staff!)     

No comments:

Post a Comment